Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Knitting Weather

doing the knitting

For those of you who've been following my stream / dull blog forever, you'll know I learned to knit years ago, when I first moved to New York. I knit a couple of things, just a scarf here and there, but a mild bout of carpal tunnel one winter scared me off of it completely.



But, since I moved back to Texas, and the weather has cooled down (translation: for those of you who don't live in South Texas - temperatures have dropped from over 100 to mid-80's) and I picked up knitting again in a fit of funk and boredom:

Progress on the patchwork blanket

My goal is a patchwork blanket like the one on the cover of Readymade: http://www.readymade.com/magazine/issue/issue_49

Ahem, getting there, has been a rather funny experience, of course. I chose a whole slew of different yarns at the Hobby Lobby, but my favorite was I Love This Yarn, which is so fluffy and cuddly. By the way, to view that link, I think you have to be logged in to Ravelry.com, which, yeah, I joined. It's such a cool page, that gives you links to all the projects peeps have used the yarn for. It's right up my methodical, excessively categorized alley. :)

little scarf so far

In between working on patches for the blanket, I knit up a small skinny scarf for my cousin. I used I Love This Yarn in that bright pinkish color and Vanna's Choice (ha ha - can't look at that label without giggling) in purple. It's probably got mistakes and I didn't block it because I, 1) didn't want to and 2) liked the look of it as is.



There's something so restful about knitting that is difficult to describe. It would seem like it's the most boring task on earth, to make your hands repeat the same stitches, over and over again. But you enter into a quiet rhythm, and when you're used to it, can knit almost without looking.

I love knitting and watching TV, something I can't really do while embroidering. When I have stuff on my mind, thoughts I can't work through, things I'm worried about or mad about or meh about, knitting gives my hands and brain a purpose and just calms me.

What about you guys? Any knitters reading here? :)

And now, for the most depressing song on earth. No, I'm just kidding, it's really not - but I hesitate to tell people it's one of my favorite songs recently because it um, sounds so dark. :) It's by an artist a friend in New York turned me on to - I don't listen to a ton of country but she's the kind of country I really really enjoy...



Hope you enjoy it and that you don't think it's the most depressing song on earth, or that I'm weird for loving it! ;) And that you don't think I want to die. ;)

How are all of you? I feel like I've been here so infrequently lately, sorry about that! :)

16 comments:

Katie said...

I didn't know you could knit! I am also a multi-crafter, and during the fall/winter, knitting takes over. That blanket project looks like the perfect tv-knitting project. I love garter stitch blankets - lofty & warm!

I'm on Ravelry, too:

http://www.ravelry.com/people/serafinapekkala

Ginny said...

I've been waiting... and waiting for it to cool off so i can get get out the crochet hook and get my butt into a hobby lobby for new yarn... but no. Houston decides it wants to be 95 degrees at the end of October and it's really startin to suck all the fall spirit out of me. This weekend will be cooler, yus? PLZ!

Jacey said...

Love that you're knitting again, love Gillian Welch, and love the soft and snuggly garter stitch! I'm on ravelry as well; my username is jaceynotjc. Enjoy this lovely Texas "fall" weather!

Jody said...

knitting is GOOD! So glad that you returned

jane said...

I've been a hardcore knitter since I was a kid. I used to make myself all the necessary winter outer wear to survive a Canadian winter since grade 6.

I especially love the mindless zen busywork for the hands while watching TV. I have a need to keep my hands busy with something. There is a blanket at my parents where all the fringe on one side has been braided over time.

Ravelry is a ton of fun. I'm janemumbles over there.

Drop Stitches Not Bombs said...

I was knitting while reading this post! I look forward to seeing how your blanket shapes up - it looks like you've chosen some gorgeous colours. Ravelry is pretty much my favourite place on the internet: it is an endless source of inspiration to me. That and knitting podcasts (especially Stash and Burn). My Ravelry username is DropStsNotBombs - feel free to add me as a friend!

Meadowlark said...

I'm a bad knitter, but continue to slave away at it. Am currently struggling with the brioche stitch. Just got my cast off from a broken arm, so things are extremely slow going right now. I enjoy living vicariously, so keep knitting!!!

Linda P said...

gillian welch is one of paul + my favorite singers. sometimes she comes to austin, we'll have to go!

the knitting pile is looking good. i'm going to have to teach you to crochet (if you are interested, of course!).

Kieran Andersen said...

I love to read your blog (found via Feeling Stitchy). I too love knitting and the meditativeness (is that a word?) of it. Your projects are always so beautiful and sweet......

Ravelry is a huge time sucker for me, but so inspirational! With the long, midwest winter just around the corner, I usually look for those cozy projects to get me through the season....

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Kieran

Kieran

floresita said...

Thank you sooooo much for all these comments - it made me feel so great to read them!

Linda - you're kidding! I would LOVE to see her live one of these days, I am definitely in for that! :)

Anna said...

Heh.. goodluck with your patchwork knitted blanket- I started mine 4 years ago and its STILL not finished! (but looks lovely all the same!)

Dana said...

What a wonderful blog! I found it whilst googling on cat stuff (which lead to that fab sewn cat of yours).

All needlework and other wonderful creations have realy inspired me. Thank you!

Ruthie said...

I switched from knitting to embroidery when I moved from Montana to Houston. :-)

cyndi said...

totally a knitter! love it and understand the wrist and shoulder pains that can be associated with it! Kint on girl!~

ROZ said...

Nothing like knitting to calm your nerves, and such fun, too

r e b e c k a said...

I love th colours on you blanket! It's definately knitting weather here in Italy too!