Friday, December 10, 2010

The perils of knitting far, far too much



I should have known it was going to get ugly - up there you can see Hat #5 and Hat #6, both of which I knitted in one day. Apparently, there's only so much knitting the human body was expected to do, and I have been exceeding my quota. :) I've had a doozy of a backache last night and today, but.... at least I have hats to show for it. :)

Hat #7, or my first beret

There is my first beret, knit from a pattern suggested by my sweet friend Julia (p.s. Ramona, here's the pattern). I was doing a great job until close to the very end, when juggling the stitch markers got really hairy. So a few slipped off, and I suppose it's not perfect, but I still very much like my first beret.

I finished The Vampire Diaries, season 4 of Lost, and I'm halfway through Dead Like Me, which is quirky, bizarre, and fun. Yes, I know I'm late to the party on all of these, but I consider the past few months to be catch-up on all the TV I've never watched. :) Any suggestions for more fun, quirky shows to add to my queue? (P.s. Molly I'm already a fan of True Blood and Glee! :)

Oh, but the back is really killing me! Have any of you knitters had any similar knitting injuries? Suggestions on how to treat / avoid them? Yes, I know the most obvious answer is: stop knitting, but I'm hoping there are other coping methods. :)

I really love all the knitting comments you've been leaving!

11 comments:

Ramona Burke said...

oooh, love the beret! what's the pattern?
I usually get really stiff hands... I'm working on knitting more loosely, hoping that helps, but it's hard to knit loosely with size 1 needles (socks for the hubs)... Sometimes I use a heat pack on my back though, mostly just cause it's comforting.... good luck!

Molly said...

True Blood and Glee!

I like your beret and I miss your embroidery...

Lorena said...

I know your pain! I've felt it many times after a marathon knit and have no clue how to prevent/fix. But what lovely hats you've made!

LC said...

My favorite shows to watch while knitting or crocheting are ones that I can listen to and are still funny without watching every second. I'm currently re-watching Scrubs during my Christmas crafting and it is highly entertaining!

Mintlatte said...

The best way to prevent back pain is to play musical chairs every half hour or so. Move from one spot to anther and stretch inbetween. I have arthritis, so for me if I don't take the time to stretch and change seats I can't knit for very long :-)

Casey said...

LOVE those hats!! I don't knit but I've had pains from crocheting too much, I always get it in my elbow and shoulder. not fun, especially when all you want to do is crochet some more! hehe

I love Dead Like Me, it's one of my favorites! They also made a movie :) I like watching shows on DVD, I go through Angel and Buffy and How I met Your Mother a lot! I'm buying Big Bang Theory as a Christmas present this year, so I'll be going through that one soon too

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

You are a hat knitting machine! I love the beret.

You're still ahead of me in TV shows - I haven't seen any of those, and I just watched Buffy last year. I'm a good decade behind TV trends, I think!

My current show is the BBC Robin Hood. It definitely falls into the "so bad that it's good" category - cheesy and fun.

Rebekah said...

I am loving all of your hats. What I do to prevent a backache is to stretch periodically and to also put pillows or some short of support under my elbows on either side it helps that way I am not stooping over my knitting and I have good posture.

Hope this helps and you keep knitting.
~B

beadgirl said...

If you liked Dead Like Me, you must check out Pushing Daisies, which is also by Brian Fuller. Seriously -- stop whatever you are watching now and get the dvds for Pushing Daisies, even if you have to steal them.

My Realitty said...

Miss you what else is goin on? Is Austin different than when you were in college? C

jesse said...

i get "knitter's arthritis" its the same as when i do embroidery. just that feeling of your joints stiffening. i just take a 10 minute break every hour and give myself a little hand massage. you should just break and give your neck a little stretch - it will make a big diff.