Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday night scanning

     linda6    linda13


Anyone who knows me well at all knows that I adore old photographs. When my good friend Linda saw my post about having scanned all of my family's old pics, she joked that she could make me scan hers, too. I don't think she anticipated that I'd not only eagerly volunteer, but also get started right away! :)

Her photos are housed in an exquisite little leather bound scrapbook with black pages, and the teeny-tiny 1940's-era photos are the smallest and sweetest I have ever seen. For many of these, you aren't even sure what is in the photograph, until you scan them and see the large size.

I love the feeling of mystery in photos like these. Like that top photo, of the young woman on a diving board. Is the photo of the young woman, or of the cute boy just behind the fence? Does it matter? Or that random, from-the-car-shot next to it - was there something specific being photographed? Usually, I get so lost in the beauty of the silver-brown tones that the original meaning of the photo isn't so important to me.

I'll be adding to her archives bit by bit, and sharing a mysterious few with you here. Thank you, Linda, for letting me scan these for you!!! :)

What about you guys - do you have any lovely old pics you'd like to share? I'd be ecstatic if you left a link in the comments! :)

2 comments:

Nicky said...

That is crazy nice of you to scan someone elses photos!!! I feel the same way about old photos, it's a little snippet of time that someone captured for a reason. So fun to look at, even if you don't know the subjects!
I did a post for my grandparents 65th wedding anniversary and put up "pictures of pictures" I found at their house while visiting. Not as pretty as scanned ones, but such sweet memories anyway!
http://thestitchylife.blogspot.com/2011/04/april-21-1946.html
Happy Monday!

Velvet Tangerine said...

I am very very obsessed with digitizing my family's photos as well as my large collection of found photos. I love pouring over every detail of each little snapshot in time!

You can check out a whole bunch of photos of my family from the 20's to 60's in my flickr set:

www.flickr.com/photos/velvettangerine/sets/72157622911024868