Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Crazy greens and large patterns

embroidering my skirt


I've always had an affinity for big, bold, colorful, odd prints. Ok, I don't like all of them, but it's one of those "I know it when I see it" sort of things. I just have a gut feeling about prints that work on me. Usually, the individual colors don't look promising, and I'll get funny looks from whoever I'm shopping with, but when I actually take it out and wear it, people love its uniqueness and I get lots of compliments.

my skirt + New York + rain

I think that maybe certain combinations of color and texture actually make people happy. And I like being able to stumble across them. In particular, I used to love wearing bold colors in New York - when the skies are gray, the streets are dirty, the morning's cold - just looking across the platform at that one happy burst of color makes you almost want to walk up to that person and thank them for what they wore. And, people actually did that to me. A lot. :)

Funny thing about that skirt - I loved wearing it in New York, but not so much in Texas - it sits in my closet, untouched. Are certain colors only wearable in certain environments? Maybe so... :)

In any case, I brought out that pic because I've been thinking about the embellished fabric stitchalong John is doing over on Feeling Stitchy right now... you should stop by and take a look!

Here's an odd, lovely palette from my odd skirt pics:
next wednesday's palette

No comments: