Saturday, July 6, 2013

Stitching Saturday: Dr. Who scarf

Dr Who scarf progress

The minute I saw this pattern, I was utterly powerless to resist its lure. I don't know why, but I love stitching things that appear in films or tv shows - it's like making my own little piece of memorabilia. I hadn't even seen the Tom Baker episodes that this scarf came from, but I caught up with them while stitching. I love how blessedly wonky and ugly the actual prop scarf is - it looks like someone messily joined 3 large scarves together - and you can clearly see little hangy bits from ends not fully woven in, etc. So it's a perfect scarf to teach yourself to knit with, if need be - because it's supposed to be rather ugly and thrown-together to be authentic. :)

I found an awesome blog, Witty Little Knitter that helped me choose my colors and yarn - the person that put this together is amazing. She provides patterns for Season 12, 12.5, 13, 14, 15, 16 & 17 and 18 - she even gives you the color names for stitching them in up to 6 different brands of yarn!

That said, I'm not entirely happy with my choice - I used the cheapest option possible - Vanna's Choice, and it feels rough under my fingertips - so much so that I got some painful hangnails after knitting for a few days. I know from previous experience that it will soften up with washing, as my Watson scarf did - I just don't know if I'm patient enough to wait that long.

Part of me wants to just splurge and buy all the wools in KnitPicks Swish - my favorite soft wool yarn - but I'm having a hard time color-matching. Another part thinks I should just bear down and finish it as is...

Well, that about covers my weekend stitching plans for awhile - how about you? :)

No comments: