Saturday, May 10, 2014

Stitching Saturday: Cats and Crafts Experiment

Cats and Crafts Embroidery Experiment

I was lucky enough to take part in the Cats and Crafts Experiment over on Feeling Stitchy, along with all of our other FS bloggers, who all interpreted the pattern in such cute and different ways.

I had a blast with this, and I must say, I love stitching for project-oriented posts - it helps me to have a deadline - so that I can finish and so I don't exhaust myself continually re-imagining it.

Here were my materials for the first cat I stitched, Knitty Kitty:
IMG_5488

One of my favorite things about this project was how the shading came together - I started with the basic outline and filled in some yellowish highlights:
IMAG1473

I  chose a white sport weight yarn and did short, chunky seed stitches all over, letting a little bit of the fabric peek through:

IMAG1479

I used light pink yarn in a sport weight and knit up a tiny garter stitch square on size 4 needles, casting on a teeny 5 stitches. I used the same yarn to create the ball of yarn shape, adding layer over layer until it popped out into a ball-like texture. The knitting needles are couched pink metallic floss.

IMG_5479


For Crafty Cat, I used my zero quilting knowledge to create a teeny crooked quilt top consisting of the gingham square and 4 polka dot squares.

IMAG1495

I couched white yarn in between to look like piping, and filled in the corners with satin stitched embroidery floss in pinks.

IMAG1501

I had some hit and miss moments filling in Crafty Cat - up above is the route to go if you want your cat to look like Hellcat, the Spawn of Satan. :) I dialed it back on the yellow eyes, and filled in a mixture of black yarn and embroidery floss in dark gray and olive green.

Again I wasn't too fussy about a little bit of the fabric peeking through, and I love the texture I ended up with:

IMG_6066

No comments: