Thursday, July 3, 2014

Tag, I'm It

stitch close up

So, the lovely Keeley from Stitch and Color tagged me for a Blog Hop that's been making the rounds. If you're reading this, you're tagged! But don't worry, a piano won't fall on you if you don't play along. :)

What are you working on?
My latest project was reviewing the Stitch it with Wool class on Feeling Stitchy last week, and it was really fun. Up above you see one of the stitches I learned - the Spiderweb stitch (although I've heard it called by a few other names). If you hurry over, you can take advantage of a 50% discount code through Saturday!

Aside from that, I am knitting a huge log cabin blanket, working on a Jane Austen cross-stitch sampler, stitching a crewel embroidery pillow, and knitting a baby hat. Yeah, all that. :)

How does you work differ from others of its genre?
I guess that would be something an onlooker could better answer - but as for me - I have a mild obsession with cataloging - the tendency was in me, from childhood. I tend to photograph the steps of my work very methodically, and I really enjoy taking others through my process. Actually, I like process shots even more than my finished work, I think. I'm both a neatnik and unrestrained and messy in my crafting - you can see both tendencies, equally.


Crewel wool

Why do you create what you do?
I feel compelled to create things. I love the feeling I get when I'm lost in a project, be it drawing, or painting, embroidery, knitting, etc. It's so meditative and calming and inspiring, all at once.

Lately, I do most of my creating for posts on Feeling Stitchy, but I sneak a few of my own projects in as well. The nice thing about writing as a volunteer is being able to pick and choose whatever I want to write about!


drawing circles

How does your creative process work?
Oh, I'm all over the place, usually - take my review project, for example. While I watched the lessons I spent a long time staring at the crewel wools I'd purchased, picked out my faves, then lined them up with a few yarns from my stash. I knew I didn't have enough time to try every stitch for the review (I wanted to!) so I focused on just one stitch.

I was inspired by a chain stitch circles pillow Kristin shows off in her class, and wanted to do something along those lines in a small hoop. I traced a few circular shapes with a disappearing ink pen, and got to stitching.


fluffy texture close up
I usually work like that - doing some online research on Flickr, Pinterest, and Google for inspiration, then I just let myself spring off in my own direction...


Spiderweb stitches


Again, if you're reading this - Tag, you're it! :)

No comments: