Saturday, October 25, 2014

Stitching Saturday: Knitting Retreat

beautiful

I had the honor to take part in a Contemplative Knitting Retreat last weekend, and it was such an amazing experience. I have a few crafty friends in real life, and when my friend Linda lived nearby I would go over to her house from time to time to knit together, but aside from that, I've never knit in a group with anyone else.

Untitled

I have to say that what struck me most about this time spent with other knitters is that I realized... knitters are freaking awesome. Like, all of us. :)

Sometimes I have these moments when I go to the symphony or listen to live music and I just feel so moved by what I'm seeing, and I look around and realize no one else is feeling it at all (or at least they don't look like they are).

But in this group, I looked around and to my surprise and delight, so many people had the same look of awe and wonder on their face when they heard music, talked about the beautiful nature all around us, listened to poetry, etc. I kind of felt I'd found a home. :)

gorgeous Texas

The country was gorgeous - at night I could see so many stars, and the air just smelled right. It felt like a camping trip with air conditioning, good healthy food and lots of amenities, like really soft bed sheets and hot showers. :)

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

It was a nice mix of women from different faiths, so the contemplative aspect was very inclusive - there were spiritual readings, a Eucharist service on Sunday, and also reading from poetry and novels, while we all knitted. We could either join in a discussion or just listen. There was a talented violinist who played music each day, and that was a special treat - to be sitting just 2 feet away from such beautiful music.

winding

Untitled

Untitled

It was a gorgeous experience, and I can't wait for the next one!

No comments: