Wednesday, June 18, 2014

New Knit Stitch a Week: Stocking heel stitch

Stocking heel stitch

Teaching myself one new knit stitch a week, from the Complete Guide to Needlework book, c. 1979.

I cast on 13 stitches on size 9 needles - left: Wool-Ease in Oxford Gray; right: a random chunky acrylic yarn in my stash.

Row 1: *K1 sl 1* , K 1
Row 2: purl

What I like about this stitch is its chunkiness - it looks like a K1,P1 rib, but is SO much faster to stitch. It's kind of raised and textur-y, and very easy to work.

The back is really pretty too, a kind of woven look:
Stocking heel stitch, wrong side

I am wondering how much it would curl on the edges on a larger piece, like a scarf. The chunky acrylic piece was already curling a bit on each side...

Still, I'd love to try this on a scarf!

No comments: