Saturday, July 19, 2014

Stitching Saturday: Roumanian stitch leaves

I'm still working steadily on my floral pillow - most of what's left now is filling in leaves...

all finished leaves from afar

I wanted to experiment with different leaf stitches, so I found a stitch diagram on Pinterest, and tried it out:


Apparently, this is the Roumanian stitch - using this diagram as a guide, I got to stitching with some dark green pearl cotton:

finished leaf!

The pearl cotton gave it a nubbly texture, but I really liked it - it's almost like fish scales. It's a lot faster to work than satin stitch or the raised herringbone stitch I learned last week, and it eats up a lot less thread.

Here's how I stitched it, step by step:
r5

I tried the same stitch using 2 strands of crewel wool on that bottom left-most leaf:

finished leaf!

I love how the crewel wool sort of floats and expands above the fabric - it's a totally different effect!

Here's how I stitched it with the wool:
stitch3

What do you all think? I'm having a ton of fun finishing up this project - I'm amazed to say I am almost done now! :)

No comments: