Friday, January 10, 2020

Last stitch of 2019!

Noel pattern by Slow Evenings on Etsy

So, I can't believe it but I was able to finish my Project a Month goal for 2019 on Feeling Stitchy! (see My Year in Review here)

I fell very much behind in August, thanks to a variety of challenges, physical and emotional, but I was able to catch up in November and December. I finished up my very last project of 2019, which I started on December 20, this lovely Noel pattern by Slow Evenings on Etsy.

Noel pattern by Slow Evenings on Etsy

What a gorgeous pattern this is, and so well-designed! Read my full write-up on the pattern on Feeling Stitchy:
http://www.feelingstitchy.com/2019/12/project-month-noel-pattern-by-slow.html

Noel pattern by Slow Evenings on Etsy

I switched up the colors a tiny bit, since my fabric choice was neither light nor dark, but a medium tone in between. I chose the dark green lettering, and I think it was a good choice - I absolutely love the texture on these letters - I think what I did was a combination of split stitch and long and short, not technically either but both.

Noel pattern by Slow Evenings on Etsy

I adored this finished project - I love the way the little berry French knots pop against the linen background - I used 3 strands of floss, wrapped twice around the needle...

Noel pattern by Slow Evenings on Etsy

Isn't the texture delicious?

Noel pattern by Slow Evenings on Etsy

Lastly, I wrapped the embroidery hoop in a cute polka dot ribbon to finish it off. I was finished on Christmas Eve, just in time to give it away on Christmas Day!

A worthy project to end 2019 on, and to close out my final posts on Feeling Stitchy!

What's Next?

I'm sure I will continue to stitch and craft, but the time of focusing exclusively on embroidery and blogging about it has come to a close. I feel free to express my creativity in whatever way I choose now!

Calligraphy practice

One of the things I have been enjoying SO MUCH lately is ink and pens, and as of December, Calligraphy!

Calligraphy Resources I Recommend


Calligraphy practice

Beginning Calligraphy Class on Creativebug

It all started with a Creativebug class by Maybelle Imasa-Stukuls called Beginning Calligraphy. I was wowed by Maybelle's simple, gorgeous style, and her approach to teaching is so calming. I really liked her idea of embracing your "mistakes" and just taking joy in making lettering that looks handmade. It made learning so much more fulfilling!

If you must start anywhere, my advice is start with Maybelle's class!

Calligraphy practice

Find the Right Tools

Sumi ink with a Nikko G nib was perfect for me - but I started out with materials that frustrated me, so I want to save you the aggravation and just say - start with these! I've filled pages and pages with practice lines and Maybelle's lovely alphabet, and every time it has been so restful.


Calligraphy practice

Beginner's Modern Calligraphy Class by The Postman's Knock

Another wonderful value has been the Beginner's Modern Calligraphy course by The Postman's Knock - all through my break I slowly worked through the lessons, and her tips have been so helpful!

Calligraphy practice

Free Worksheets and Drills on Kallialitheia

Another lovely free resource are these ornament drills on www.kallialitheia.com/ - her Instagram account is very inspiring!

Calligraphy practice

Books: Mastering Modern Calligraphy by Molly Suber-Thorpe

For Christmas, I was gifted Mastering Modern Calligraphy by Molly Suber-Thorpe - and I spent hours going through her inspiring tips and lettering.

This book is good for someone who already has a grounding in calligraphy, so I'm saving some of this for when I've got more practice under my belt...

Calligraphy practice

Books: The Gift of Calligraphy by Maybelle Imasa-Stukuls

I was also gifted The Gift of Calligraphy by Maybelle Imasa-Stukuls, and this is a GORGEOUS book!

Again and again, I come back to the Maybelle alphabet as an inspiration, here I've worked it in white ink and dark scrapbook paper...

Calligraphy practice

Calligraphy practice

Dinky dip set from Caracol Creative

I ordered a dinky dip set of inks from Caracol Creative - I think it was a wonderful value and has been so helpful in keeping my work area neat and tidy.

Calligraphy practice

Calligraphy practice

The Gold ink was just fabulous!

Calligraphy practice

I spent countless hours over the break, filling pages with words I love - this has been the most fun exercise...

Calligraphy practice

Free Flourishing class on Loveleigh Loops

I am currently working on a free Flourishing class called Simple to Spectacular on www.loveleighloops.com/.

Calligraphy practice

Calligraphy practice

Flourishing doesn't come naturally to me, so I'm enjoying learning and extending my skills...

Calligraphy practice

What a fabulous time I've had! So, yes, I will still be around, working on projects that stimulate my interest, although I'm not sure how much I will blog about it. I'm so grateful for all the time you've spent with me, and I hope 2020 blesses you thoroughly with new skills and inspiration!

No comments: