Friday, September 8, 2017

A Honeymoon of Plants

My caladium

Oh boy has it been a long time since I wrote here last, and in that time, I've gone absolutely bonkers for plants.

Another caladium

I'm not sure quite when it happened. Somewhere after the hubbub of moving into an apartment with my husband, newly married, enjoying the quiet of this new shared existence, I was drawn to plants like I've never been before.

Begonia rex

Don't get me wrong - I have always loved trees, flowers, and being outdoors. But that's where it generally ended - outdoors. Something about seeing plants in pots never gave me a thrill. Until recently.

Unfurling caladium leaf

Caladium leaf unfurled

There's something so fascinating and so pleasing about watching plants grow. Such a thrill in watching a leaf slowly unfurl. To notice a stem or a leaf has turned towards the sun. I can't describe it, I guess. But it's addictive and wonderful.

2017-09-08_03-36-38

And there's such a beautiful, wide assortment of plants, and in my climate, luckily I can grow them almost year round. Each day the balcony gets a new friend.

Pineapple plant

2017-09-08_03-38-20

Potted succulent head

Right now I'm taking supreme joy in watching a cane begonia my mom gave me sprout slowly from its roots:

New leaf

Where will it end? Who knows! So far, I've been having a lovely time with my new friends!

No comments: